A pleasant hike in the Massif de la Clape with beautiful views and a visit of the Chapel of Auzils and its marine cemetery.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
(S) The start of the hike is at the Chapel of Auzils car park.
(1) Head in the direction of the cycle route (a paved road to the right when facing the chapel).
Follow the road for 300 m and arrive at a fork. Continue on the paved road on the right. After 300 m you will go along the vineyards on your left and, at the end of the vines, the road heads right and a path is on the left. Do not take any of the two.
(2) Go opposite where a small path leads into the forest.
Head through the forest for 500 m (it's not difficult and always in a straight line) as far as the paved road and continue on the left. Pass by a building on your left (under renovation) and continue on the paved road on the right.
Go along a large portion of land that has been deforested on the left.
(3) after 500 m take the path on the left (the area has been refurbished).
We follow this path that begins to rise up to the plateau over nearly 2 km. In front of us appears Pech Redon, the highest point of La Clape (214 m).
(4) Turn left onto the narrow path. 150 m away at the first view point. From the edge of the cliff and on clear days there is a magnificent view of the Mediterranean and this is only the beginning. After about 700 m reach the lookout point (vigie). A view from Port la Nouvelle to Mont Saint Clair in Sète. Superb.
(5) We head away from the watchtower by the left path. This path isn’t difficult, just follow it until it leads to a marked hiking trail (Sentier de la Clape). After 750 m pass by the path on the right.
(6) take the path opposite.
We arrive at the Chapel of Auzils 250 m away. You come to another view point. Head around the chapel on the left, go down the few steps and reach the Auzils Caver located beneath the chapel.
20 metres further down the path is the marine cemetery that brings us back to the car 400 metres below.
D/A : km 0 - alt. km 0
1 : km 0.74 - alt. km 0.74
2 : km 1.54 - alt. km 1.54
3 : km 3.68 - alt. km 3.68
4 : km 4.71 - alt. km 4.71
5 : km 7.8 - alt. km 7.8
D/A : km 8.69 - alt. km 8.69
Hats, water bottles and sunglasses are recommended in hot weather.
The Auzils Chapel is not always open, check in advance at the Gruissan Tourist Office.
Picnic tables are located next to the chapel car park.
We advise taking IGN maps with you on this walk. Click here to buy : 2546OT.
Hikideas and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
Other hiking trails around the site.
Number of opinions : 33
Description quality : 3.03/4
Routemap quality : 3.30/4
Walk interest : 3.70/4
Global average : 3.34/4
Date of walk : 06/05/19
Description quality : Very good
Routemap quality : Good
Walk interest : Very good
Great walk with super views.
Track was difficult to find at start as new vines had been planted. Easy enough to follow as you hike towards the ridge.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.