A lovely, easy walk through the woods above Chamelet.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
Leave from Chamelet train station (car park).
PR Yellow waymarking and GRP Red and Yellow waymarking.
(D/A) From the car park, take the D82 on the left, cross the bridge over the Azergues river and then turn right at the crossroads in the direction of Bergeron, following the Yellow waymarking. Climb uphill on the tarmacked path up to the end of the housing estate.
(1) At the fork, turn right in the direction of Clayet Wood and continue straight on, going alongside Clayet Wood up to the fork with a small tarmacked path after a sharp bend to the right.
(2) Turn left and continue on until you reach Corret.
(3) Take the path on the left in the direction of Gutty. Be careful, the start of the path is poorly marked: you need to take the path which is just above the one marked "propriété privée" ("private property"), GRP waymarking in Yellow and Red. It heads into a conifer wood and goes rapidly downhill. At the bottom, cross over the small river and head to the left (very clear Yellow and Red waymarking).
(4) At the Gutty crossroads, head to the right and then again to the right for a few metres and follow the path in a south-west direction which leads to a tarmacked road at Croix du Sec.
(5) Follow the tarmacked road on the left. Ignore a road on the left heading towards Guerry and, at the crossroads, turn right onto the D82 until you reach the Croix du Thel Pass.
(6) At the pass, turn left onto the D629 (there is a picnic area on the left) in the direction of Roche Saint-Martin.
Continue to follow the Yellow and Red waymarking.
(7) At the fork, stay on the left of the D629 and then turn left onto the access road for the relay pylon. Leave this road around 200m further on and take the left again until you reach a branch in the paths.
(8) Leave the GRP by branching off to the left towards Font Davy and go downhill through the woods. At the branch in the paths, turn left onto the PR (Yellow waymarking) and continue straight ahead. Ignore all the paths on both sides of the path and continue straight on until you reach the road leading to Peignaux.
(9) Follow this road to the left, going past the reservoir and then, a few hundred metres further on, leave the road and take the path on the right in the direction of Chamelet.
(10) At the road, turn left and, after about 50m, turn right onto the path going back down towards Chamelet with a view over the village and the Alps if the weather is right. At the first branch in the paths, continue to the right and then, at the crossroads with the D82, turn right, go over the bridge and you will return to the car park at the station (D/A).
D/A : mi 0 - alt. mi 0
1 : mi 0.49 - alt. mi 0.49 - Bergeron, fork, branch off to the right
2 : mi 1.55 - alt. mi 1.55 - Branch, turn left towards Corret
3 : mi 2.11 - alt. mi 2.11 - Take the GRP to the left
4 : mi 2.76 - alt. mi 2.76 - Crossroads, turn right twice
5 : mi 3.62 - alt. mi 3.62 - Road, turn left towards Croix de Thel
6 : mi 4.24 - alt. mi 4.24 - Croix de Thel Pass, turn left onto the D629
7 : mi 4.73 - alt. mi 4.73 - D629, head to the left
8 : mi 5.12 - alt. mi 5.12 - Fork, leave the GRP, turn left
9 : mi 6.48 - alt. mi 6.48 - Road, turn left
10 : mi 7.56 - alt. mi 7.56 - Road, 100m turn left and then right
D/A : mi 8.12 - alt. mi 8.12
(8) At Roche Saint-Martin, it is possible to go up to the orientation table (needs restoring) and back. To do this, take the road in the direction of the relay and then, at the relay, turn to the right in the direction of Brou - the Guerin cabin (1.2km there and back).
We advise taking IGN maps with you on this walk. Click here to buy : 2930ET.
Hikideas and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
From Col du chatoux (or col du Chêne), this hike goes through woods along the ridge line offering wonderful views:
-over the Saône and eastern Beaujolais valleys
- over Azergues Valley to the west.
A Short yet tough hike through the Monts d'Or. Very nice in good weather and on dry ground.
This path is very pleasant in the Autumn, with a magnificent view of the monts d'Or, Lyon and the Rhone valley.
This route can be extended in the direction of Yzeron or Thurin.
A very nice circuit around the Monts du Lyonnais to explore the climbing area at Py Froid.
A scenic walk between the mountain passes of Col du Châtoux and Col du Joncin.
A hike along the balconies in the south of Burgundy through the vineyards.
A hike in Beaujolais through vineyards and forests, starting from Juliénas near Belleville. This hike can be shortened or lengthened (see description).
A hike on the highest summit of the Rhône Department.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.