A superb hike around the Dentelles de Montmirail.
This trek will take you through all sides of the Dentelles.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
(D/A) From the Col de Cayron (Canyon Pass) car park in Gigondas (follow signs in Gigondas).
Take the forest trail to the right in a south-west direction that takes you to the Rocher du Midi (Belvédère) and then onto Alsau pass. Continue on the forest trail that takes you to the ruins of the Saracen tower.
Keep to this same trail until the tank at the edge of Souira.
(1) At the fork, take the path to left at the hairpin bend, along the vineyards.
(2) Take the left path that runs through the vineyards to the Grand Montmirail.
Continue on this single trail that leads to the "Mon Rêve” car park.
(3) Above the car park, a waymarked trail climbs through woods to the climbing site that you should follow to the right (eastwards) and, after a beautiful descent, will lead you to the village of Lafare.
Get back to the road (RD90), go through the village heading north along the road, then back and follow the GR (route de Gigondas) to the left.
(4) At the tank, turn left then right to reach a car park at a turn in the road.
(5) To the right of the car park, a (very steep) waymarked trail heads up to the road that passes beneath the Saint Christophe chapel, at the foot of a rock climb.
Continue along the road to the left (west) through the Cassan estate. Continue on the road catching up with the forest trail to the left (south) which will take you straight to Col de Cayron car park.
D/A : mi 0 - alt. mi 0
1 : mi 3.02 - alt. mi 3.02
2 : mi 3.43 - alt. mi 3.43
3 : mi 4.39 - alt. mi 4.39
4 : mi 5.43 - alt. mi 5.43
5 : mi 6.67 - alt. mi 6.67
6 : mi 7.07 - alt. mi 7.07
7 : mi 7.26 - alt. mi 7.26 - Chapelle Saint-Christophe
D/A : mi 8.73 - alt. mi 8.73
Requires good physical fitness and good hiking shoes with ankle support.
We advise taking IGN maps with you on this walk. Click here to buy : 3040ET.
Hikideas and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.