A good mixed terrain walk with great views. The early footpath rising through the woods was not well used so poorly defined.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
(D) Start is at car park on Lea road where the road bends to follow River Derwent. Walk up the road towards Lea Bridge.
(1) Opposite the Mill car park follow the footpath sign up the lane behind Mill. Lane becomes footpath and passes left of Splash Farm buildings. Path rises through woods quite meandering and indistinct at first.
(2) Path soon improves and continues to rise eventually following edge of escarpment to Bilberry Knoll. Soon after catching first glimpse of Riber Castle ahead the path begins to descend to Heartstone Farm. Pass through buildings and take footpath on right alongside last buildings.
(3) Soon join Carr Lane. Turn left then right onto Riber Road. In 200m take footpath on right towards Tansley. Keep straight forward toward Tansley until shortly before Daisy Bank farm where you fork left downhill to the main Matlock road.
(4) Immediately turn sharp left up lane behind houses. Carry on to Hilltop farm and drop down hill on footpath to left passing the farm buildings.
(5) At end of third field turn sharply back up hill in fourth field to enter woods. Follow path up hill through woods until you are traversing the hillside below a wall.
(6) An obvious path through wall is taken shortly after passing first house in Riber. Follow road previously walked in opposite direction and continue past Riber Castle.
(7) At left turn to Heartstone Farm enter lane and quickly take footpath to right with views Matlock Bath and Abraham's Heights. Cross fields and over stile to follow footpath down bank side eventually to a road.
(8) Turn left for 150m and take footpath on left behind houses (easily missed). Follow footpath through pretty woods and eventually descend to farm track.
(9) Follow for 100m before forking right on footpath and shortly enter woods. Leave woods and continue along bankside until joining road.
(10) Follow road until joining footpath on right below houses on left.
(11) Follow footpath through woodland and don't deviate until you join the road at Lea Bridge opposite the Mill car park. Turn right down Mill Lane to return to car park.
D/A : mi 0 - alt. mi 0 - Lea Road car park
1 : mi 0.29 - alt. mi 0.29 - Take lane behind mill
2 : mi 1.6 - alt. mi 1.6 - Bilberry Knoll
3 : mi 2.28 - alt. mi 2.28 - Left on Carr Lane
4 : mi 3.21 - alt. mi 3.21 - Sharp left behind houses
5 : mi 3.74 - alt. mi 3.74 - Turn sharply back uphill
6 : mi 4.07 - alt. mi 4.07 - Turn left along path
7 : mi 4.56 - alt. mi 4.56 - Turn left along lane
8 : mi 5.09 - alt. mi 5.09 - Turn left on road
9 : mi 5.43 - alt. mi 5.43 - Join farm track for 100m
10 : mi 5.99 - alt. mi 5.99 - Turn left along road
11 : mi 6.16 - alt. mi 6.16 - Turn right along path into woodland
D/A : mi 7.08 - alt. mi 7.08 - Lea Road car park
Muddy in places so choose a dry spell.
Hikideas and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.