Wonderful hike in Burgundy to discover "Solutré" (a landmark) and the "Rock of Vergisson”.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
(S) Park at the hamlet "La Grange du Bois" near the gite. Cross the road and head towards the alley that goes up and passes behind the house. Take the road up to the crossroads at the top of the hamlet, turn left and continue on the road.
(1) A little further on, reach the GR on the left and follow the signposts for "Mont de Pouilly". At the first building take the path that climbs to the right through the forestry site. Follow the GR until you cross the D31. (2)
Take the path along the D31 on the right then cross it and take the path that runs along it on the left.
At the fork, in a turn of the D31, take the steep path on the left (3) and continue straight. Follow signs for "Mont de Pouilly" straight ahead (warning: at the fork take the path on the left) then turn left and left again at the crossroads.
(4) At the fork of the roads (at an old baths) take the path that climbs to the right in the field and reach the edge of the forest. Head along the forest and follow the path to the right after crossing the wooden fence. Go up the road along the field that turns left to reach the summit of Mount Pouilly. (5)
Head in the direction of "La Grange Murger" following the forest path.
Then follow the direction of the Roman road car park (note: at the fork take the path on the left) and continue up to the first house. Turn right, follow the path on the left, join the road (6) and continue on the right towards the sign for “Les Condemine". At the signpost follow the directions for “Les Roches de Solutré”. (7) The path is well signposted from here to the summit of the hill.
Once at the top of "Solutré" head back down and take the path towards "Vergisson" which goes left through the forest. (9) Follow it, keeping to your left, until the sign for “en Buland" and turn right then left towards Vergisson that can be seen ahead.
(10) At the road turn left and then the 1st right. At the plaza, take the path up to the left of the town hall towards "Vergisson." Follow the signs and head out of town turning right at the fork, always in the direction of "Vergisson."
(11) At the sign directing towards summit marker take the path on the right and then turn left a bit further on to start the climb to the top. Follow the path (pass by the path on the left that you will take on the return journey) and at the fork a little further turn right to get to summit. (12)
To head back down, head back along the way up but just after the fork take the path to the right onto the D177.
(13) At the D177 turn left then at the 1st road turn right (on the "Poncet Combe” road), reach the house and along its left, reach the road, pass by the car park on your left and follow the road. (14) After the bend, take the indicated direction "La Grange du Bois" (quite a climb!)... (15) let yourself be guided to the left by the GR Route called “St-Jacques-de-Compostelle" to the D23/D31. Turn left onto the road, then take the path to the right through the houses, go straight to the fork.... The car park is on your left.
D/A : mi 0 - alt. mi 0
1 : mi 0.08 - alt. mi 0.08
2 : mi 1.71 - alt. mi 1.71
3 : mi 2.1 - alt. mi 2.1
4 : mi 2.99 - alt. mi 2.99
5 : mi 3.59 - alt. mi 3.59 - Mont Pouilly.
6 : mi 4.43 - alt. mi 4.43
7 : mi 4.82 - alt. mi 4.82
8 : mi 5.59 - alt. mi 5.59 - Roche de Solutré.
9 : mi 5.93 - alt. mi 5.93
10 : mi 6.53 - alt. mi 6.53
11 : mi 7.05 - alt. mi 7.05
12 : mi 7.72 - alt. mi 7.72 - Roche de Vergisson.
13 : mi 8.15 - alt. mi 8.15
14 : mi 8.55 - alt. mi 8.55
15 : mi 8.82 - alt. mi 8.82
D/A : mi 11.06 - alt. mi 11.06
Hike with alternating ascents and descents making this an "average” difficulty route. Can be difficult and tiring for a beginner but is entirely do-able.
We advise taking IGN maps with you on this walk. Click here to buy : 3028OT.
Hikideas and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
The priory is worth a visit in the hamlet of “La Grange du Bois."
Viewpoints from "Mont de Pouilly"
Viewpoint over the "Solutré” hill
Viewpoint over the “Roche de Vergisson” hill
You can make a detour just before "Vergisson" to see a menhir: after the sign for “en Buland" turn right then right again towards “Les Chancerons". Take the road to the right and then right again to reach the route towards Vergisson.
A hike along the balconies in the south of Burgundy through the vineyards.
A hike in Beaujolais through vineyards and forests, starting from Juliénas near Belleville. This hike can be shortened or lengthened (see description).
A hike on the highest summit of the Rhône Department.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.