A hike looping around the Maures hills in the middle of cork oak forests.
Lush vegetation with beautiful views of East Toulon.
You take a portion of the GR51 called "The Balcony of the Mediterranean".
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
The car park is at the crossroads of the GR51 and the hamlet of Davids (D/A).
Start by heading due north to the hamlet of Portanière. Turn left at the intersection of Route du Vallon de Maraval, then walk along this road for 20 m to then take the path on the right.
Continue straight on this path that goes through the vineyards. After crossing a forest, reach a crossroads and turn left, still on the GR51.
(1) Arrive at the road to the hamlet of Portanière, turn right and walk past the hostel. Continue through this hamlet to the hamlet of Les Rouves. Go straight towards Vallon Loubier and to Piste des Perriers.
(2) At the intersection of that track, turn right towards Route de Maraval. Ignore the paths on the right and left and stay on this track. Reach to the top of the ridge; at the intersection, turn right down the track. Below at the intersection of Route de Maraval, turn left and stay on this track rising into the valley bottom along the “Plaine longue” dams.
(3) After a hairpin turn, continue on the right track (the track to La Saute). You will find a spring up the hill under the cork oaks. Reach the summit: the crossroads with the GR51 and the Cabane des Gardes has a picnic area and, depending on the season and with permission from the municipality of Pierrefeu, the opportunity to have a barbecue or cook over a fire.
(4) Behind the Cabane des Gardes, take the path on an overhang and into the woods on the north slope. Ignore the path down to the right, then left and right.
Continue straight ahead as far as (5) to reach the Piste des Camargues which is unfortunately under construction as of 27 March 2015.
(6) Reach the water tank and take the path behind the tank to arrive at (D/A).
D/A : mi 0 - alt. mi 0
1 : mi 0.59 - alt. mi 0.59
2 : mi 0.78 - alt. mi 0.78 - The hamlet of La Portanière, turn right
3 : mi 2.94 - alt. mi 2.94 - Right towards route de Maraval
4 : mi 4.91 - alt. mi 4.91 - Hairpin bend, continue on the right-hand track
5 : mi 6.13 - alt. mi 6.13 - Cabane des Gardes
6 : mi 8.01 - alt. mi 8.01 - Track
7 : mi 8.76 - alt. mi 8.76 - Water tank for firefighting
D/A : mi 9.5 - alt. mi 9.5
Cabane des Gardes shelters. Starting at 10:00 from your car, you can at the cabin by 13:00.
Note: barbecues or other fires require the approval of the municipality of Pierrefeu.
Some drinking water points from springs only very few. So, bring water.
We advise taking IGN maps with you on this walk. Click here to buy : 3445OT.
Hikideas and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.