Superb hiking in the back-country of Grasse.
On the program, megaliths, magnificent viewing points over the entire coast (in clear weather) and to finish, a superb waterfall in an exceptional setting.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
(D/A) From the car park, take the road on which you arrived, the "Chemin des Galants".
(1)At the first crossroads, turn right then immediately left to follow the Chemin du Château, a road that you follow up to the place known as Le Château, ignoring all other roads.
(2). When you get here, follow the yellow markers, going through a private garden, which is normal.
Then the trail will lead you up to a magnificent Roman bridge which has been superbly maintained. This is the Pont du Ray which crosses the stream of the same name.
(3) From there, the trail rises continuously with a few small berms. While following the trail, which is well marked, find on your right a signpost pointing you in the direction of Mons. Here, on your left, follow a small trail to discover the magnificent Dolmen de Brainée.
(4) Return to the initial trail and continue to climb.
(5) On a hairpin bend, be careful not to take a trail that goes straight ahead (although it takes you to the same point, it's steep and rugged), keep following the marked path up to the col. From there, the trail is no longer marked.
(6) At the fork with two tracks, take the track on the right that you follow up to the summit of Pézou, spot height 1094.
(7). From there, leave the main track and follow a track a little less well marked which turns right to reach the uppermost part of the hike, the Montagne des Louquiers.
(8). Make the most of the viewing point before returning via the same route to point (6).
(6) Continue straight ahead and then on a relatively clear area, turn left to discover another megalith, the Dolmen de la Colle (9). Find the main path and get to the intersection.
(10) Ignore a large cistern on your left and follow the track going right. Follow it for approximately 1200m.
(11) Exit the path and follow the trail marked yellow which goes right (be careful, you can easily pass it without seeing it!).
Follow the marked trail until the Ray stream crossing (be warned that after heavy rain the path can be difficult).
(12) Cross while being careful not to slip, and follow the marked trail that goes up to point (13). On the climb you can see the Cascade de Clars waterfall at the bottom of the cirque.
(13) Follow the trail on the left.
Arrive under the waterfall and take advantage of this viewing point over the Ray valley.
Retrace your steps to get back.
(13) Then take the trail on the left.
Follow this marked trail and find the starting point (D/A).
D/A : mi 0 - alt. mi 0
1 : mi 0.3 - alt. mi 0.3 - First intersection
2 : mi 1.27 - alt. mi 1.27 - Le Château
3 : mi 1.63 - alt. mi 1.63 - Roman bridge
4 : mi 1.99 - alt. mi 1.99 - Dolmen de Brainée
5 : mi 2.41 - alt. mi 2.41 - Follow the marked trail
6 : mi 2.62 - alt. mi 2.62 - Track on the right towards the summit of the Pézou
7 : mi 3.31 - alt. mi 3.31 - Track intersection
8 : mi 3.76 - alt. mi 3.76 - Summit of the Montagne des Louquiers
9 : mi 4.96 - alt. mi 4.96 - Dolmen de La Colle
10 : mi 5.03 - alt. mi 5.03 - Track intersection
11 : mi 5.67 - alt. mi 5.67 - Follow the marked trail
12 : mi 6.57 - alt. mi 6.57 - Ford
13 : mi 6.79 - alt. mi 6.79 - Intersection of marked trails
D/A : mi 7.48 - alt. mi 7.48
The starting point, the hamlet Les Galant, a small car park, the Aire des Galants, which can take four cars without interfering with the residents. The route is mostly signposted in yellow except the round-trip to the summit of the Montagne des Louquiers.
We advise taking IGN maps with you on this walk. Click here to buy : 3543ET.
Hikideas and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
Global average : 4.5/5
Number of opinions : 53
Description quality : 4.42/5
Routemap quality : 4.52/5
Walk interest : 4.57/5
Global average : 5 / 5
Date of walk
Description quality : Very good
Routemap quality : Very good
Walk interest : Very good
Great walk and amazing finish with the waterfall.
This is a magnificent hike through the red rocks of Estérel, looking over the blue of the Mediterranean with extraordinary viewing points.
A stroll in an exceptional place, discovering the gorges of the river Blavet and the cave of Mueron which was inhabited in the Bronze Age.
Ideal in summer and on warmer days, avoid periods of heavy rain.
This circuit lets you discover magnificent panoramic views over the Mediterranean (the Gulf of Saint- Tropez up to the Dramont semaphore) and Mediterranean forests, as well as the remains of the Malavettes forester's house, now abandoned.
A short but energetic walk that is exposed towards the end. Enjoy the stunning views from the top of Rocher de Roquebrune with its famous ochre colours.
Easy circular hike leaving from Rague port.
The hike starts by climbing up towards Mont Thurney at the entrance to the Estérel, then going downhill through a dry valley then a forest (eucalyptus and then pine trees) before reaching San Peyre and its 360° orientation table (panoramic view over the Îles de Lérins, Cannes bay and the Mercantour).
Go down through Napoule and then take the coastal path alongside the château until you reach Raguette and Rague beaches.
A pleasant walk letting you discover the National Forest of the Colle du Rouët, the Trou de Gournié, also called Cascade de l'Endre and the river Endre.
This circuit is ideal on sunny days and a surprising route thanks to the diversity and beauty of the valley, which is still wild. On the northern slope, you'll appreciate the quiet atmosphere of the pine forests and the oaks that dominate the verdant agricultural plain of Sallagriffon, with a panoramic view up to the foothills of the Mercantour mountain range. On the southern slope, you'll appreciate the magnificent mineral landscapes with tremendous views of deep clues carved out by the capricious course of the rivers.
Very beautiful hike close to Agay which enables you to discover the Estérel away from the usual routes.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.