Superb hiking in the back-country of Grasse.
On the program, megaliths, magnificent viewing points over the entire coast (in clear weather) and to finish, a superb waterfall in an exceptional setting.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
(D/A) From the car park, take the road on which you arrived, the "Chemin des Galants".
(1)At the first crossroads, turn right then immediately left to follow the Chemin du Château, a road that you follow up to the place known as Le Château, ignoring all other roads.
(2). When you get here, follow the yellow markers, going through a private garden, which is normal.
Then the trail will lead you up to a magnificent Roman bridge which has been superbly maintained. This is the Pont du Ray which crosses the stream of the same name.
(3) From there, the trail rises continuously with a few small berms. While following the trail, which is well marked, find on your right a signpost pointing you in the direction of Mons. Here, on your left, follow a small trail to discover the magnificent Dolmen de Brainée.
(4) Return to the initial trail and continue to climb.
(5) On a hairpin bend, be careful not to take a trail that goes straight ahead (although it takes you to the same point, it's steep and rugged), keep following the marked path up to the col. From there, the trail is no longer marked.
(6) At the fork with two tracks, take the track on the right that you follow up to the summit of Pézou, spot height 1094.
(7). From there, leave the main track and follow a track a little less well marked which turns right to reach the uppermost part of the hike, the Montagne des Louquiers.
(8). Make the most of the viewing point before returning via the same route to point (6).
(6) Continue straight ahead and then on a relatively clear area, turn left to discover another megalith, the Dolmen de la Colle (9). Find the main path and get to the intersection.
(10) Ignore a large cistern on your left and follow the track going right. Follow it for approximately 1200m.
(11) Exit the path and follow the trail marked yellow which goes right (be careful, you can easily pass it without seeing it!).
Follow the marked trail until the Ray stream crossing (be warned that after heavy rain the path can be difficult).
(12) Cross while being careful not to slip, and follow the marked trail that goes up to point (13). On the climb you can see the Cascade de Clars waterfall at the bottom of the cirque.
(13) Follow the trail on the left.
Arrive under the waterfall and take advantage of this viewing point over the Ray valley.
Retrace your steps to get back.
(13) Then take the trail on the left.
Follow this marked trail and find the starting point (D/A).
D/A : mi 0 - alt. mi 0
1 : mi 0.3 - alt. mi 0.3 - First intersection
2 : mi 1.27 - alt. mi 1.27 - Le Château
3 : mi 1.63 - alt. mi 1.63 - Roman bridge
4 : mi 1.99 - alt. mi 1.99 - Dolmen de Brainée
5 : mi 2.41 - alt. mi 2.41 - Follow the marked trail
6 : mi 2.62 - alt. mi 2.62 - Track on the right towards the summit of the Pézou
7 : mi 3.31 - alt. mi 3.31 - Track intersection
8 : mi 3.76 - alt. mi 3.76 - Summit of the Montagne des Louquiers
9 : mi 4.96 - alt. mi 4.96 - Dolmen de La Colle
10 : mi 5.03 - alt. mi 5.03 - Track intersection
11 : mi 5.67 - alt. mi 5.67 - Follow the marked trail
12 : mi 6.57 - alt. mi 6.57 - Ford
13 : mi 6.79 - alt. mi 6.79 - Intersection of marked trails
D/A : mi 7.48 - alt. mi 7.48
The starting point, the hamlet Les Galant, a small car park, the Aire des Galants, which can take four cars without interfering with the residents. The route is mostly signposted in yellow except the round-trip to the summit of the Montagne des Louquiers.
We advise taking IGN maps with you on this walk. Click here to buy : 3543ET.
Hikideas and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.