Very nice circuit that will take you over grazing areas that are still used.
The last part of the circuit overhangs the gorges of Galamus.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
From Saint-Paul-de-Fenouillet that the road to the Galamus gorges 3.5 km away (by car).
The start of the hike is at a car park to the left, in front of the other car park for the Ermitage. Fairly large car park, provided for coaches. The hike may well start from the car park of the the Ermitage, but in this case a little more of the route must be taken on foot.
(S) From this car park, head down to the road for 750 m due west. Follow the Red and White GR36 markings.
(1) In the hollow of a right turn (340 m), a sign indicates to the right: Cathar trail and Peyrepertuse to the left. . Turn left and follow the trail that climbs north-east for 100 m. Follow the Red and White markings
(2) Turn left passing a track on your right. Follow the Red and White markings. Pass by the Del Four stream__ often dry (340 m). Keep climbing this steep path (north-east and east).
(3) Arrival at Col de Corbass (419 m) that we do not pass through. Head off to the left (west then north-west). Continue to climb in hairpin bends.
(4) At 495 m the path passes the stream again. At around 520 m the path climbs to the east.
(5) At about 630 m the road opens into a vast clearing. Arrival at the Pla de Brézou (660 m).
(6) Turn right. Continue in the direction of . The path goes down due south towards the Col de Lapres (601 m). It crosses two streams which are often dry.
(7) Before the Col de Lapres, a water point and a pool are located right at the fork.
Turn fully left, due south-west. Follow the track in the direction of . This track winds then heads due west, above the trough. Follow for approximately 2.8 km.
(8) Head straight ahead, pass the trail that heads off to the right towards the thalweg.
(9) Warning. At 650 m in a hairpin bend. Do not take the right turn, in the direction of Camps-sur-l'Agly. The trail descends and into the forest. Continue to the left and along the well-marked trail. A less-used track can be found to the left here.
(10) Arrival at a level plain (615 m). From this open area, go left in the direction of .
After 1,000 m, pass by a trail that climbs to the left. Then, after 600 m, at a big curve, pass by a path down to the right.
(11) Arriving at the Col das Souls (685 m). Continue on this path in the hollow of the valley. .
(12) Reach a fork. Head to the right, due south. (Leave the left path that leads to the Pla de Brézou). Follow this wonderful stone path leading down. A magnificent view of the Galamus Gorge awaits you. Continue to head downwards. At around 503 m the path heads off to the east. This reconnects with the road and back to the car park
D/A : km 0 - alt. km 0
1 : km 0.87 - alt. km 0.87 - Turn left on the trail
2 : km 1 - alt. km 1 - Turn left on the trail
3 : km 2.1 - alt. km 2.1 - Col de Corbasse - to the left
4 : km 2.78 - alt. km 2.78 - cross the stream
5 : km 3.65 - alt. km 3.65 - Straight ahead
6 : km 4.33 - alt. km 4.33 - Go right towards the castle
7 : km 5.02 - alt. km 5.02 - Turn left towards Cubiéres
8 : km 5.23 - alt. km 5.23 - Straight ahead
9 : km 6.48 - alt. km 6.48 - Straight ahead, do not to go down
10 : km 8.1 - alt. km 8.1 - Turn left
11 : km 9.14 - alt. km 9.14
12 : km 10.56 - alt. km 10.56 - Col das Souls - Pass straight ahead
13 : km 11.09 - alt. km 11.09 - Turn right and head due south
D/A : km 12.87 - alt. km 12.87
Warning: pay attention to the remaining markings in different colours, the indications, the signs of different shapes, the places indicated and the spellings of these places.
Allow at least 2 litres of water, good hillwalking shoes, a camera, a walking stick can be useful on the descent. No drinking water refill point. No shelter to my knowledge.
Do not forget this description and a map, windproof clothing and rain gear, plus warm clothes.
We advise taking IGN maps with you on this walk. Click here to buy : 2448OT.
Hikideas and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
Address for “Accueil Paysan” accommodation:
Near the car park by car and entering the gorge you can see: Hermitage of Saint Anthony of Galamus.
Getting to the accommodation mentioned above allows, therefore, to cross the Gorges (by car).
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.